Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I feel like I am really experiencing a lot here. Besides the teaching taking place and what I am learning from the school, I am kind of getting this hands on education about what it is like to live in another country, to be a foreigner, and the difference between poorer countries and richer ones. It's really the experience I have always wanted to have. I see a lot of positives here (like the awesome weather and the openess and warmth of the people) but I am also realizing how lucky I am to live in a country like Canada. It's such a differen setup.
 It is normal here for people like teachers to have housekeepers and nannies. It is very common. A housekeeper might live with a family from sunday night to friday afternoon and make about $150 dollars a month. It's crazy! I think that it is exploitative. I'm not sure but I don't think I would feel right about it. Then again, maybe it is better for them to have that job than to not have a job at all. I would love to have someone who would have my meals ready for me when I got home from work and someone who would clean the house, but... I don't know, I think I would feel a little guilty about it. That is really less than $50 a week. I can't get over it. No wonder must people have housekeepers, it's so incredibly cheap.
 Also, wealthy people here live primarily in guarded appartment complexes or towers. They do not live in houses, I guess because they are not very secure. Although I am no where close to wealthy, I am a tourist here and I can feel the way people look at me. I usually take my camera with me places because I want to take pictures, however I do not always feel secure taking it out of my bag. For example, we took public transportation to the beach, it was this little crazy bus/vans and I wanted to take pictures of them, but it would not have been safe for me to pull out my camera I do not think.
 Funny thing is, even though it is not as secure here as in Canada, I think I would like to move here for a few years and teach English. Here or in Puerto Rice, or Mexico or maybe even costa rica (i don't really know how it is there however), but yeah I want to do it. And since my lovely boyfriend is Spanish, that would work out pretty well. We'll see. I think it would be great to experience and I think for sure that way I would learn Spanish. I want to. And I like teaching English as a second language to these kids, it's awesome! I also like the way things are in certain ways better than at home. You can leave kids in the classroom unattended for a  minutes and hell doesn't freeze over. Tonight I am going over to my CT's for dinner, parents kiss you on the cheek, kids say "good morning Teacher" to you everyday and give you a hug. It's just different. I guess it's something for me to think about for the future.

3 comments:

  1. You mentionned in an earlier post that the school system there is about 20 years behind ours. Our system (many more years than 20) has deteriorated considerably and the students there are being taught to respect their teacher and also the parents have respect for the job the teachers are doing with their kids, something very much lacking in our system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true. Respect is lacking in our system. But for the learning itself, I think it is a little more meaningful in Canada. They way were are supposed to teach in Quebec at least. It's more advanced I think and makes learning meaningful rather than just a bunch of stuff you memeorize and forget the next day/month/year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying yourself and enjoying the teaching/experience!

    Ps. If you click my name it links to my blog :)

    ReplyDelete