Monday, February 22, 2010

:)

I feel very thankful every day just to be here. I guess that sounds cheesy but it's true. I've had a good day everyday so far, except maybe the first night arriving. Today after school we went out and had some creole food. It was delicious! I had rice with beans in it and I loved it! I also had chicken and a potato dish that was really good.
  I am liking stage so far as well. Today was my second day because I went in Friday to start. The kids are super sweet and awesome. I really like them. I was told there would not be behaviour issues at all, but there are. I think there must be everywhere. Nothing major though. The education system is very different here. I would say it is like Quebec was when I was a kid and even before that. It's traditional with the students sitting in rows and copying things from the board and working in their workbooks mostly. Actually here we only have one half hour break, the rest is class time from 7:40 until 2 pm. Our half hour break is from 9:55 until 10:25. It's a little nuts because then we teach for 3 and a half hours straight! We are basically following textbooks however so there isn't much planning to do. It's very like not Q.E.P. and I feel a little guilty because I am not coming home and doing like three extra hours of work, but hey, it's an experience right? Also I don't think the system is as beneficial for students and the Quebec system but education is always evolving, right? When I take over the class (which may be as soon as Wednesday) I will still have to follow the set routines and texts but I will try to incorporate a little diversification and incorporation of the different learning styles. As much as is okay I guess. I think the VP might have a heart attack if she sees all the students out of their seats and working in groups. It's worth a try though. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment